Good afternoon, I thought since spring is upon us that now would be a good time to have a friendly sunflower competition!
The chosen sunflower is the ‘Mexican Red Torch Sunflower’ a beautiful red-orange heirloom sunflower originating from Central Mexico. Not only is this a fabulous plant to attract butterflies into your garden but they are also loaded with continuous blossoms.
I purchased the seeds from one of my favourite seed companies ‘Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds‘ and as a bonus I got a packet of free Cilantro to add to my growing collection (I can’t wait to plant and use this herb in some delicious recipes) .
So the rules of the competition are as follows:
– Seeds are planted on the same day (today around 9.30am)
– Only one plant can be chosen to be judged, you can’t pick the best….(Daniel!)
– At the end of 100 days the sunflowers will be measured and judged
Since I only have a balcony to grow on I have a slight disadvantage as the other contestants will be growing their seedlings in the ground, but since its all fun and games why not see what happens!
Trust me I have a few tricks up my sleeve.
The participants are:
– Me (The other Sarah Raven)
– MrCrayon(Daniel C) and his class: A kindergarten teacher and sunflower lover
– Nicole E and her class: Another kindergarten teacher : )
Let the competition begin and stay tuned for more updates.